Okay! Homemade laundry detergent complete! Fast and easy. The lengthiest part was heating the baking soda to turn it into washing soda, which took about 15 minutes. We've had problems with what look like grease spots showing up on clothing, most easily spotted on solid coloured t-shirts. After cleaning thoroughly all parts of the inside of the washing machine nothing changed except the inside of the washer was clean.
Turns out detergents safe for high efficiency washing machines (ours is not, but the detergent is for both kinds) have some slippery something or other in them that can do that to clothes. I found a recipe for the homemade detergent. Then I found directions for the washing soda. I already had on hand the borax and Dr. Bronner's soap. Google is Wonderful. It reveals ALL the secrets of the universe! I <3 it.
This entry was originally posted at http://pj.dreamwidth.org/405694.html. Please comment here or there there using your LJ ID or OpenID.