Power went out and on starting at 9:45 p.m. last night and out for good around 10:30 p.m. We saw so many flashes of bright oranges and yellows we thought the neighbor's house was on fire. Turned out it was lines or transformers down in the valley. It got cold fairly quickly with no heat, but this morning through this evening was the worst for cold. Thank the Gods I bought that gel-fueled fireplace because if you sat close it actually gave out heat! Candle and oil lamps abounded.
The Yorkie was cold. Even Ringo the fat cat got a bit chilled. Dave got disgusted in the afternoon and asked when were we going to abandon this place. I told him he could go when he wanted to, but I was not leaving the pets. Even if I only burnt one fuel can at a time, it would last and they would not freeze.
The wee gel-fuel flames get decently hot. We heated coffee in a pan over it. I heated soup. I made a scrambled egg and later pancakes for us. lol We needed hot food. Hours later when the drive was cleared and after Kev shoveled the walk he cleared all around the gas grill so we could have hamburgers for dinner. I heated corn over ... you guessed it! The wee fireplace!
We played Scattergories early in the day. Guess who won every round? *breathes on bent fingers and scuffs shirt*
But it got colder as the day wore long. The temp stayed in the high 50's inside near the wee flames and in the family room when the sun came in, but our core temp cooled so it felt uncomfortable even in layers and under a comforter. My nose, toes, and fingers stayed cold. Sadie's little Yorkie ears and paws were chilled. And the snap-crackle of the fireplace kept her afraid.
I had just texted Mary that the power outage was getting old and the temp is to drop to single digits tonight and vióla - POWER!! It was around 6:50 p.m. Hurrah!!!!
This entry was originally posted at http://pj.dreamwidth.org/251423.html. Please comment here or there there using your LJ ID or OpenID.